Thoughts Post Crossfit Games

Watching the 2014 Reebok Crossfit Games this past week was a blast and kept me very uptight. It started out great for Froninf the first day as he sat in first place after an 8th place finish in the Beach and a 1st in the Overhead Squat. The second day of competition was a big disappointment as he dropped significantly down the leaderboard. He was able to make somewhat of a comback n Saturday putting him in fourth place going into the final day. Sunday Rich swept every event with 3 victories staying true to his motto "Leave no Doubt." He stood atop the podium that evening for the fourth straight year! 

I was able to learn a lot over this past week and picked up new techniques that I feel will help my performance in the long run. Here are some of the things I picked up on:

1.) Rowing. Previously I was using more of an "all legs" technique (made that term up). I am going to change that up and start using a technique where you bend more at the hips. I noticed a lot of athletes using this technique on the Triple Three, so I am going to give it a try. 

2.) Double Unders. When I look at someone doing double unders normally they look up tight and in an uncomfortable position. There feet are completely together and arms are straight down. For me, that is just uncomfortable. I am going to try a new positioning that I saw Rich use during his dubs at the Games. See below pic… 

Old verses new double under technique.

3.)  Rope Climbs. My feet tend to slip when I do rope climbs with the techniques I currently have. Instead of putting both feet on the same side I am now going to try rapping around the rope to do the same foot lock I have been using. 

4.) I also have tweeked my C2BPU, MU, and BMU. The details of those are to hard to explain. 

5.) Overhead Stability and Flexibility. There is countless times where these two components will come in handy. For example, on Thick'n in Quick when rich froning jerked 245 up and squared it with his jerk grip. Not only did it save time but it also is a more stable position if you can get the flexibility. I am going to be really working on this over the next few months. 

6.) Clean Set Up, Pull, and Front Rack Positioning. After seeing the Speed Clean Ladder I realized that having a long drawn out set up is actually not good. If you are use to having a set up then get an event like the speed clean ladder or even a workout with heavy cleans you are going to be thrown off gaurd. So that's going to change for all my lifts. Two other things I need work on are my front rack positioning on cleans and front squats and my second pull on the clean and snatch. 

There are a few other lifts and movements I'm changing but I touched on the main ones. 

I was recommended to list out all the games events in order of how I think I would have placed. So here it is:  (best to worst) this is based off my guessing times compared to the games athletes. 

Midline March 
Muscle Up Biathlon 
Sprint Sled 1 
Sprint Sled 2 
Push Pull 
Triple Three 
Sprint Carry 
The Beach 
Double Grace 
21-15-9 Complex 
Thick'n Quick 
Clean Speed Ladder 
Overhead Squat 

Just by looking at this I can tell my strength numbers need to go up a good bit.

I also did some research to see if anyone from SC has made it to the Games the past few years (men individual), and It turned out nobody has. And I can promise you that will change in the next FEW years. After going to the SE Regionals this year and watching the Games on TV I am extremely pumped and motivated to do whatever it takes to make it happen. 

I have come up with a nutrition plan that I feel confident about and will be starting when I get back from Florida. I also am starting a 13 week Olympic lifting cycle when I get back. It is the exact cycle Rich Froning used this past winter. Here is the link: Double Day Squats and Heavy Weights. 

I have had a couple people make smart aleck remarks to me about my goal to go to the games over the past few weeks. My response to them is, "appreciate that!" You can either let those people bring you down, or you can let it add fuel to the fire! The Open will be upon us before you know it, and I can garuntee you I'm going to make those people regret every word they said. 

I am looking forward to the months ahead. I figured now is the time to change technique so I will have time to practice it before the open in March. Time to start training like a mad man! (Once I get back from Florida) 

1 Timothy 4:12 

DM 

For questions or comments email drewmathews96@gmail.com 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crossfit Games Training Update

Liberty University Trip Recap

Lift, Metcon, Skill, Core